Thursday, January 15, 2009

Burroughs Speaks

WSB: Do you know that famous story about the Zen Master who appeared before the Emperor with his paintings? He bowed three times and disappeared into his paintings.
SE: ah ya. (laughs) do you think that will ever happen to you? Or does it often happen to you?
WSB: I hope. I hope. Yeah. (long pause) You know… I think the only really important function for people is to feed their … cats.
SE: (slightly uneasy laugh)
WSB: That would bother me more than anything else ... when I pass. If I should die? That’s what would deter me from suicide … My cats …my cats… what would happen to my cats?
SE: (an audible sigh, and then quickly…) Not that you’re gonna…. (Simultaneous with his reply…)
WSB: Not that I ever … everyone looks at me reeel funny when I say that I have never considered suicide.
SE: Never considered it?
WSB: Never considered it.
SE: … huh.
WSB: Never considered it.
SE: But you’ve haven’t always had cats, William?
WSB: uh… oh….no… well… I